Featured Stieler Miniature Portrait

Discussion in 'Art' started by KSW, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

PS: Yes, I know how old that thread is. Don't care.

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, back to the portrait of Schubert, just a bug-a-boo of mine......when I see something like his portrait or even on some lovely cameos at times, WHY the artists will "cut off" or not properly round off the backs and tops of their subject's heads is beyond me and bothers me NO END!!!! It's like they are turning their subject practically into (and meaning NO DISRESPECT to or criticism to any person with such an affliction) a micro cephalic.....if you're an artist, and purported to be a good one, do a better job of planning the space you have to to work within....end of my story!!!!

Sorry.....getting too opinionated here!!! I really DO LIKE @KSW's miniature!!!

bluumz, kyratango, KSW and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Cameo profiles with a pointy chin and/or nose that could have been remedied by removing just a smidge more shell & necks that originate closer to one shoulder than the other. :arghh:

bluumz, kyratango, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Schubert, that is a perfect start imo.:happy:

kyratango, Bronwen, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jivvy

I note you have not sorted the very old thread about a seal.

Well, I've had wine, so there's no use in my playing at heraldry. Maybe tomorrow. :joyful:

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

Was this the one with the muscled arm brandishing a club that komo found was not for the Armstrong family? I was at the mouth of the rabbit hole & decided not to go down. It's in a whole other field than the one I like to hop around in.

7. Jivvy

No no, I went around with that one and determined there were entirely too many families brandishing clubs. :joyful:

This is the one that's an ancient thread, but interesting: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/wax-seal.4925/

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

Can barely see it, but looks like symbolism of Faith, Hope & Charity. That is definitely Charity on the right.

How did you even come back to this, from well before I joined?

9. Jivvy

You started it. :joyful:

You linked to another thread about these miniatures in ivory frames. That thread had links to other threads.

It's all a blur from there. :woot:

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Well now I've finished it. :smuggrin:

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Because this just popped up:

[​IMG]

They term it ivory veneer, which is probably correct, although 'piano key' is a good description of the appearance.

On a topic that comes up sometimes in connection with hand painted miniatures, description of the larger of these says it is signed Le Brun. In this case, it is both the name of the original artist & an identification of the subject, since it is a self-portrait by Elisabeth-Louise Vigée Le Brun. I have seen both: miniatures with the name of the original author; ones signed by the miniaturist.

KSW and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted