Featured The hype of art .... or is it the art of hype?

Discussion in 'Art' started by verybrad, May 7, 2016.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I've been thinking

I think the best way to describe and categorize what is "art" is:

A product of a conscious venture into the mind turned into matter.

That way we could rule out utilitarian objects and non-human nature's products out of the category of art because art is an experiment, a question or a trip rather than plain beauty. Art is not functional or necessary for survival, although it is a mental benefit at least. And more than anything, it's a conscious choice and an attitude, a branch of philosophy if you will.

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  4. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

i will have another and see what else i can come up with lol

KingofThings likes this.
  5. lloyd249

if Picasso's art wasn't worth much, would people still want to hang it on their wall ?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Interesting question for it was he who stated that it had all been done before.

lloyd249 likes this.
  7. lloyd249

his statements are as bizarre as his art lol

KingofThings likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Picasso was...odd...even on even days.

Aquitaine, KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  9. lloyd249

yes lol

KingofThings likes this.
  10. lloyd249

i predict ,the girl that did the face jug will get famous from the hype

KingofThings likes this.
  11. evelyb30

If she's still a working artist it can't help but raise her values. If she's like the rest of us, it's her 15 minutes.

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I had my 15 minutes when Edward James Olmos liked a portrait I did of him (I posted it on his fan website). He wanted one (which I sent for free, although he insisted on paying), and a bunch of his fans did, too. I painted EJO all day and night for a while. Was ready for my big break where all of Hispanic Hollywood would want a portrait... of him, themselves, whoever. But... it just faded awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! But it was fun!

komokwa, KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  13. lloyd249

i'm still waiting for it . hope it comes before i die lol

KingofThings likes this.
  14. evelyb30

I've had my 15 seconds. LOL I've been in front of news cameras a few times for fluff pieces where I was in the right place at the right time.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. lloyd249

when a rock is carved into a sculpture of a man or woman or what ever it is a piece of art so when a rough diamond is cut into a beautiful stone is that not art ?

KingofThings likes this.
  16. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

That is beyond art. It is a combination of extensive training, artistic ability, craftsmanship
    and lots more = my company is at the door.

17. lloyd249

i would think that would also be the difference between a 500 dollar painting and a million dollar painting , just thinking.

my art could use some extensive training, artistic ability, craftsmanship lol and then i would be rich lol at least better

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  18. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

"i would think that would also be the difference between a 500 dollar painting and a million dollar painting , just thinking"

Sorry, not correct. Go back to Brad's opening post. Try to imagine some Jewelry experts, critics, whatever, trying to hype an engagement ring designed and crafted by a relative newcomer. Too many experts and knowledgeable buyers to accept inaccurate appraisals.

19. lloyd249

i keep thinking about the face jug on ars when thought to be old and done by a craftsman 50,000 , truth comes out, done by student and she really is self taught and the price drop to 3,000 if she had training and was a know artist with training ,would the price have dropped ,or hype it up and go up ,or if nobody said anything how high would it go, it boils down to you have to know what you are buying. the art world (not all ) has turned it's back on me so now i have to go to the media to prove what i have or have not , let the chips fall where they may lol

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  20. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

People want what other people want.

The harder it is to get the higher the price will be.

Famed artist's work costs more because they are in demand.

Anything could be in demand and it has nothing to do with techniques, quality or effort.

It's a fantasy of fame and belonging.

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted