Featured THRIFT STORE FIND - 1950s PAINTING by RAYMOND BESSE!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 22, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Just want to show my latest find - I found it at a local thrift store, but just found it again in my living room! (I had a stack of paintings & posters that my girlfriend asked me to move & while doing so saw this - I couldn't believe I'd forgotten about it!

It has 1955 written on the frame but it looks like 1958 to me written on the back of the canvas (under spacer) - can anyone tell what the date on the canvas says?

Thanks you!

PS - I looked Besse up and saw some boat scenes - but not one like this; any thoughts on it?

AA ART PAINTING RAYMOND BESSE 1A_AAA.JPG AA ART PAINTING RAYMOND BESSE 3A_AA.JPG AA ART PAINTING RAYMOND BESSE 4AA BACK.JPG AA ART PAINTING RAYMOND BESSE 4BA_AA BACK.JPG AA ART PAINTING RAYMOND BESSE 4BAAA BACK.JPG AA ART PAINTING RAYMOND BESSE 5AA BACK.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, journey, and the siggy and style look convincing to me
    Looks like 1955, there are some inkspots near the last 5 that make it look like an 8.

judy and kyratango like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it might be 1938 on the painting itself. The boats look very old fashioned for Paris in 1955/8.

KikoBlueEyes, judy and kyratango like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Except doesn't it look like Besse himself signed back of canvas with signature that says 55

Bronwen and judy like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I believe this is your actual painting on Liveauctioneers. With the stretcher corner brace moved to the side a little in the photo it's a bit easier to read. Maybe you could shift it a bit and see if it's clearer. It certainly looks like 195_. I'm guessing that the writing on the stretcher is just for information rather than by the artist but don't know.

Crue sur la Seine = Flood on the Seine, I believe. This site list 1955 as a year Paris flooded.
    https://www.solosophie.com/flooding-in-paris/

Lot passed but offered for sale in FL.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/38463036_raymond-besse-1899-1969-painting
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Why not? He was quite prolific and certainly appears to be his work. (Also looks a bit dirty; likely spent many years in a smoker's home.)

Debora

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Well found, SIS. That it certainly the same piece.

8. Any Jewelry

9. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Journey why are you saying you find it at a thrift shop when you acquired it by someone else?

10. Any Jewelry

Maybe he did find it at a thrift shop, someone else could have won it at the auction, and it ended up at the thrift shop?

judy and i need help like this.
  11. journeymagazine

No - this one I found at the thrift store myself! :)

i need help likes this.
  12. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, it got passed at auction & had to go somewhere, consignment at thrift shop makes sense to me.
    I'd say SIS nailed it, nice find!
    And NO! the spitler chest does not belong to you! :hilarious:

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Ha...you don't know:D, maybe they need to follow the chest's history a little further:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

James Conrad and i need help like this.
  14. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Thrift shops are usually the end of the line and the bottom of the barrel...

There are always exceptions of course and good things turn up from time to time. These exceptions used to be referred to as "thrift store finds" but, sadly, it seems that some people have confused the meaning.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted