Featured THRIFT STORE FIND - 2nd BRAZIL/BOLIVIAN "SOCIAL REALISM" PAINTING

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 9, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought this today from a local thrift store - it's by the same artist of a painting I posted here a week or so age; by Edgar Alvarado Orellana - from Bolivia but lived & painted these in Brazil:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/t...ian-painting-help-w-artist.40921/#post-867488

Guess what - I have no questions! They were answered when I posted the first painting by this artit that I found. I just wanted to show this to you guys & see if you like it as much as I do!

I am surprised this artist is not better known.

ART PAINTING BOLIVIA WOMAN SWEEPING 1A_AA.JPG ART PAINTING BOLIVIA WOMAN SWEEPING 1A_BAA.JPG ART PAINTING BOLIVIA WOMAN SWEEPING 1A_CAA.JPG ART PAINTING BOLIVIA WOMAN SWEEPING 3AAA.JPG ART PAINTING BOLIVIA WOMAN SWEEPING 1A_EAA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Here's a close up of the newspaper headlines she's sweeping up - there has to be a social meaning in this!

ART PAINTING BOLIVIA WOMAN SWEEPING 1A_BAAA.JPG

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's a good painting find, possibly worth some bucks! :joyful:

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Think I see words election and gobernardo is government.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm seeing electoral fraud on one fragment, and narco (something) on another, so I'm guessing it's about rigged elections, bought politicians, lack of effective representation, etc.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The upside down one reads "Narcotrafico" followed by "La tumba de los bolivianos." Translates to "Narcotraffic" and "The tomb of the Bolivian people."

Debora

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The one nearest the figure has the partial name of the conservative Bolivian newspaper "El Diario," the partial name of Bolivia, the word "Gobernado" which means governed and the partial word "Delincuente" which can be translated as "offender" or "criminal."

Debora

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of the one to left, I can only read "fraude" which translates as fraud and the partial word "elector" which is probably meant to be "electoral" and translates as election.

Debora

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to the video, he did study art, both in Brazil and Bolivia, and has exhibited widely in South America as well as in the U.S. and Canada.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted