Featured Thrift store furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by verybrad, Dec 18, 2022.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am in the Midwest. University town w/ 45K students. close in regional population of approximately 250K, so not real small.

Think you need to go to a much larger city to see higher prices. Sold in Chicago for many years but even there we saw prices drop off a cliff. Not sure if it has rebounded any better than here. I really think we have seen a general shift in values among the majority of the population.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Very nice objects with even nicer prices. Nice discoveries!

But always keep your eyes open!
    Recently my eye fel on a beautiful designed wallnut writers desk. After a better close look it quickly became clear to me that it was no wallnut but plywood in 'wallnut' veneer :) (and much to pricey)

verybrad likes this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I would think in a university town prices would be low like this, kids in school usually can't spend much. I have a friend who sells in a multidealer shop in Providence RI, another university town. She sells tons and tons of low priced costume jewelry and used books :)

verybrad and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. verybrad

Some more furniture seen in the wild....

Another table with leaves (3). This one is a generous 52" diameter and mahogany. No chairs this time. Really good condition. $100.00
    thrifttable6.jpg

This MCM dresser set is only $35.00 for the pair! Good condition and includes the attached mirror. All the drawer pulls are original but some are turned a bit wonky. I don't think this will last long.
    thriftdresser3.jpg

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

gotta luv a table like that.......:happy:

Aquitaine, verybrad and kyratango like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The table's a beaut, and just try getting solid mahogany now for that price. You can't get the lumber for that! And yet, the bedroom set will sell faster.

verybrad, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  7. verybrad

Another one....

This is an antique rocker that someone has re-caned. Priced at $19.00, you couldn't even purchase the caning materials for that.
    thriftrocker.jpg

Aquitaine, Cheri, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Brad the prices there are a steal.

Aquitaine, komokwa and verybrad like this.
  9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Brad-Is this place a Goodwill or some little Charity Shop & does your medium size town have many actual Antique Stores ?

10. verybrad

We have 2 Goodwills and 2 local charity shops called Salt and Light. I hit all 4 regularly. We also have a Habitat for Humanity, Re-Store that I hit once a week. Pics are from all these stores. We have two very small charity shops that I have mostly given up on. I may hit them every blue moon... LOL!

We have one antique mall and another decor mall that is about 50% antiques (this is where I used to sell). The prices in these 2 shops are significantly higher than the thrifts but cheaper than in similar shops in larger towns throughout the country. There are several antique shops and/or malls in nearby towns where rents are cheaper. They tend to focus on country decor and primitives. Painted furniture is still very big here in the shops. Brown furniture, such as I am showing, sells at a discount if it sells at all. MCM sells without paint but still cheaply, as the market here is pretty small.

Aquitaine, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. bosko69

Good amount of pickin' places for a town of 50K(?) folks.

verybrad likes this.
  12. evelyb30

Better than I"ve got for sure.

verybrad likes this.
  13. bosko69

Antique Mayberry !...plus you save on gas in a small town.

verybrad likes this.
  14. evelyb30

...but you can't find anything to pay for the gas you did use.(sigh)

verybrad likes this.
  15. bosko69

40 yrs ago I'd drive from Santa Rosa to San Francisco picking all the way on 90-1.25 gal. gas and always found stuff. It was abt 130 mile round trip-Petaluma,San Rafael,Marin,Sausalito,S.F.,young footloose fancy free.
    Prob should've gotten into real estate-but I still love a little pickin but w/ a touch less rambling.

Aquitaine and verybrad like this.
  16. evelyb30

Or at least not until you get a hybrid.

verybrad likes this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not coastal property......not today !

verybrad likes this.
  18. bosko69

Hybrid needed.Yep Komo,everyone down in Northern California is safe so far-hella weather down there ! Good old HWY 1.
    PS-I will say,when it's not sliding into the sea,Cal,Oregon & Washington have a beautiful coastline (B.C. too).

komokwa likes this.
  19. verybrad

Not quite Mayberry...... As I said above, we have a population of about 250K within a 25 mi. radius of town. Town itself, including 45K students, is about 150K.

Lucille.b likes this.
  20. verybrad

Here are a couple more from yesterday.

This art deco-ish desk has been sitting a couple weeks at $15.00. A little beat up but all minor cosmetic damage. No loss of veneers, hardware or structural damage.
    thriftdesk.jpg

This California ranch style chair is only $6.00. Monterey? We don't get a lot of this type of furniture but there is very little interest when we do. I know it is crazy expensive in CA and the Southwest.
    thriftchair6.jpg
    thriftchair6a.jpg

Lucille.b, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted