Featured Thrift store furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by verybrad, Dec 18, 2022.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

funny , I've been on both ends of that......
    I have a Chee Chee print.....3 other high value prints...a large carved Indian Chief head...all taken in , in good faith...and several books that never sold and were forgotten.....:hungover:
    I think the Museum store may still have a couple of prints that I left there...also..:(

2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

True-When you're 96 and still buying pallets of toilet paper,I'd call you an optimist !

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My mom's uncle died at 99 3/4 and lived alone for the last 10 years of that, give or take. (missed the Century by a few weeks) So... a case of TP wouldn't have gone amiss.

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. bosko69

Evely-Your great Uncle had an amazingly long life.
    Speaking of lively 90 yr olds,I met one of my local personal heroes a few days ago.There's a grist mill a few miles down the road from us where they make the oatmeal I've been eating for years-it's called 'Bob's Red Mill'. They make 2-300 varieties of stone ground grains & flours.
    I went there to buy my oatmeal & behold met the founder 'Bob',great,friendly guy & sharp as heck at 93 !
    A few years ago he started deeding parts of his 100 million dollar a yr company to his employees-now it's all employee owned.
    That's Capitalism at it's finest,rewarding the big & little people !
    PS-MY company toyed with employee ownership once,but a South Korean corporation swooped in- 'RIP'.

quirkygirl and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. evelyb30

And it's still the best darned grain-based stuff you can find. Probably because the employees have a stake in the outcome.

6. bosko69

Evelyn- Meeting my personal hero neighbor Bob was def the high point of my week.What a Guy and a damn good citizen & neighbor.Ownership definitely inspires you to put yr heart into the game !

7. evelyb30

It's your money on the line!

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I used to go to Novato a fair bit....

9. bosko69

I went a couple 'Renaissance Faires' in Novato when I was a hippie kid.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Couple more things seen this week.

Teens-20s cedar chest in very good condition. Nice small size. $45.00
    thriftcedar.jpg

Walnut refectory table in good condition other than some damage to the feet. Larger than most at about 6' without the leaves. Also $45.00.
    thrifttable7.jpg

11. bosko69

With how low the market on vintage furn is back there why bother ?

verybrad and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Brad I can tell you that in a thrift store near me, any furniture that is out, would be close to $100.00 at least. I am not saying it would be purchased but the price difference is amazing.

verybrad likes this.
  13. bosko69

-for sure Pearl.Don't know how long it'd take to sell,but...If I had a shop in Chicago,Champaign-Urbana would be on my 'pickin' route.

verybrad likes this.
  14. evelyb30

That cedar chest looks like mine, or actually my late grandmother's. She got married in 1921.

verybrad and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. verybrad

There has not been much in the thrift stores of late and some has been a bit over priced. I did spy this unusual Victorian chair in good condition for $45.00 yesterday.

thriftchair7.jpg

16. evelyb30

((drool)) I want that! Can't have it, no place to put it, but I want it.

17. Cheri

Cheri Active Member

I refinish furniture as a hobby and my latest endeavor is caning chairs. Way more expensive to buy the cane and VERY time consuming to do the caning (but I am enjoying it). Someday I hope to try other types like herringbone. Great find.

Aquitaine and verybrad like this.
  18. evelyb30

Hence why no one does it any more. You can't get paid enough, especially with what the cane costs.

19. verybrad

Hasn't been much antique furniture in the thrifts of late. The round mahogany table posted above is now half price with no takers. The walnut refectory table above is now 25% off. Everything else I have posted is gone.

On Saturday, I saw this 20s-30s drop-front desk for $60.00 at the Goodwill. On Tues., I was able to talk to the manager and get it down to $50.00. Aditionally, it was senior day, so got it for $40.00. I didn't need this but it is too cute for $40.00. I think $60.00 was too much.

thriftdesk2.jpg thriftdesk2a.jpg thriftdesk2b.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

in what world is that not worth more than 60 bucks..? sigh......:(

Draft saved Draft deleted