Featured Tiny maori? jade? pendant?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by charlie cheswick, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It isn't that difficult to tell antique and new apart. Charlie's is very shiny and perfectly made, which means very new.
    One thing to remember is that Maori crafts were neglected for a long time, and quality went downhill until the crafts were revived ca 1970. After that it took some time to reach the level of quality we see now.
    I'll show the difference using some of mine.

These are 1970s. The Hei-Tiki on the right was the first Maori jade I ever bought, as a teen, in a newly founded Maori crafts college in Rotorua:

upload_2021-9-21_23-5-25.jpeg

Not all pounamu of this age is shiny, some is matte. But the carving isn't as good as the antique ones, and certainly not as good as the new ones.

The Koru below is slightly older, 1950s-60s. It is still relatively shiny, but the carving is irregular

upload_2021-9-21_23-7-8.jpeg

Before 1950 nearly all Maori pounamu is matte. I have some 1930-50 examples, but haven't photographed them yet.

This one is antique, 1890-1900-ish:

upload_2021-9-21_23-2-24.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    antidiem, Aquitaine, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Unfortunately China has been churning cheap ones out by the hundreds.:( Labour is cheap there, and you can find them in New Age or surf shops around the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted