Featured Today's little finds -coral,Ypres,Mourning hair etc!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Aug 18, 2019.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I think the Ypres item is a WWI sweetheart brooch, probably worn by a widow or girlfriend of the fallen.

My maternal grandfather was wounded in the first battle of Ypres in the winter of 1914 aged 18.
    He was one of the lucky ones, most of the rest of his regiment were wiped out.

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Will do.
    The ivory will stay with me anyway as it's been a great learning tool to recognise it. No intention of trying to sell it. More what I was trying to ask is is it ok to scrap the gold or is it of any value (not monetary) to keep it together?

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I find it very moving to find pieces of jewellery like this that maybe meant so much to people.
    Very glad your grandfather made it through.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

After WWI he was never ever ill again, never went to the doctors or hospital.
    Worked until retirement and died in the pub aged 94 with his Army boots on.:cool:

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Way to go!

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Bless him, and I hope to be able to do the same - though 94 is a bit close - can we push it back bit?

KSW, Any Jewelry, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What I see are 2 segments of what was a 3 segment necklace, one part missing the gold banding. We've seen an intact one somewhere on the site before.

upload_2019-8-18_17-1-19.png

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    KSW, Any Jewelry, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's definitely missing a piece. I wouldn't even attempt to sell it; even mammoth ivory and fossil walrus get yanked these days.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Yeppers! I was trying to figure out how to say what you said - which you said so much simpler than I would have said it if I had tried to say it. So now I don't have to say it and don't even need to post this reply.............but I will anyway..............just so I can say I said it...................

11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Here’s a better photo.
    13CB8CCA-7586-4296-863C-6918AEE25B38.jpeg
    No, I have no intention of trying to sell it, tbh I didn’t even know I’d bought it until I got home and sorted out this lot!
    5F826300-A184-4492-8B7F-AEF233E6FE89.jpeg

12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry, KSW and i need help like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think we have, but can't seem to find anything. I agree, probably 70s. I even saw similar jewellery for sale in Southern Europe in the 80s.:facepalm: It is beautiful, but....
    It is a perfect example of Schreger lines. Again, beautiful, but....

Bronwen likes this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Sadly I can't change what's done is done :sorry:

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

True. I have antique and Art Deco ivory, but even that is a problem, both ethical and value-wise, in spite of it being pre-Cites.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and KSW like this.
  17. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

The harsh reality is that those of us who aren't vegan contribute considerably more to animal suffering and torture by fixing dinner than by buying jewelry.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

True.
    I am vegan/pescatarian out of necessity. But of course I close my ears to those poor screaming veggies.:sorry:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Bronwen, Christmasjoy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou Jivvy for your well timed words of comfort and consideration for my emotional wellbeing that make me feel so much better just as I'm fixing tea for the girls and shoving a piece of ham into my mouth. I'll sleep so much better tonight ;).

Edit- I feel better now I've eaten a grape.

20. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Sorry, as a leather-wearing meat-eater, I sometimes have problems being properly empathetic.

I honestly believe I would be a better person if I didn't eat meat.

But I have two pork tenderloins in brine as I type this. I will cook on fire tonight.

I am caveperson, hear me roar.

Draft saved Draft deleted