Featured Travel the world without leaving your house

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Sep 1, 2020.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good evening everyone,

I've been patiently waiting for a few important packages to arrive this week (hopefully I have a follow up post in a few days). This was the one I was most excited to receive. I searched online and came across a few listings, and a few of the items caught my eye quickly. I worked out a deal and bought a group of items based on my sense of what could be good vs. bad (not all items that were for sale are shown, only the items I selected). Admittedly it wasn't the cheapest gamble I've made, but I took the plunge. Here's what I bought:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg

kyratango, cxgirl, Houseful and 4 others like this.
  2. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Here's the first items that were real silver. I thoroughly acid tested all of these just to double check, but given the country I believe they came from, I wasn't surprised to see the two larger items without proper silver marks:

IMG_7217.JPG IMG_7218.JPG IMG_7219.JPG IMG_7220.JPG

kyratango, cxgirl, Houseful and 4 others like this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

And item #3 :) for this one I still have a lot of work to do on the lid, it's got to be the heaviest hardest tarnish I've ever had to work on:

IMG_7227.JPG IMG_7229.JPG IMG_7230.JPG IMG_7231.JPG IMG_7232.JPG IMG_7233.JPG IMG_7234.JPG

lovewrens, MIRED, elarnia and 12 others like this.
  5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

once again Silver Surfer......outstanding !!!
    I have never seen elephants in such a way !!

lovewrens, kyratango, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That teapot is to die for !

lovewrens, kyratango, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. Spectacular.

Debora

9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Qnce again Nate ... beautiful items !! Well Done !! ... Joy. :):)

10. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

Amazing @MrNate . I don't know who these people are who are selling their silver BUT i sure am glad you are finding them. Your hard work deserves its rewards.

BTW
    I think the bowl with the fish design used to have a glass insert. Used to keep/serve curd on the dinner table and good occasions. This is an Indian looking dish.

The teapot is extremely unique. More so because the lid doesn't have a top to hold and open it. Never seen one of those before.

BUT once again just amazing.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Stunning, Nate!:jawdrop::happy:
    I agree, either Indian or Burmese. The teapot is (Anglo)Indian.
    There is an overlap in some Indian and Burmese styles, especially when it has those thatched roof houses.

12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Fab u lous as always. I admire your finds and your motivation to polish. Enjoy!

13. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Looking at the spout on the elephant teapot the silver looks quite thick, should weigh pretty heavy. I love the big Indian dish.

14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

15. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Roshan, your explanation of the 'fish bowl' is great I didn't even think about it having a possible glass insert.

And I agree with Cheryl's remarks on the lid, sadly the lid is separated from the base, i'll see if I can fix that. It's very possible at some point the item took a tumble knocking off the animal finial and separating the lid in the process. But I don't care, it's just too wonderful of a piece for me to mind any damage.

Regarding weight for Houseful, total weight of the four items is 1206 grams. Considering the price I paid (I certainly took a financial risk) I'm quite happy with the outcome.

16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

MrNate, Christmasjoy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  17. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

MrNate and kyratango like this.
  19. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you cxgirl, and congratulations again on your recent silver scores. The avatar picture is the final polish of this piece I got recently:

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/gambling-for-silver.52128/

Christmasjoy, kyratango and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted