Featured Unusual doulton burslem mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I grabbed this yesterday. It bears a doulton burslem mark but has an additional back stamp, which I can't fathom. Any ideas?

IMG20230828205016_copy_1192x1590.jpg IMG20230828205023_copy_1247x1663.jpg IMG20230828204850_copy_1193x1592.jpg

judy, cxgirl, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oh, that one again! It’s popped up several times but I don’t think it’s ever been deciphered.

KylieS, judy, johnnycb09 and 5 others like this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Would the second mark be the decorator's mark?

judy, cxgirl, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. Chinoiserie

Oh that makes me sad. Thanks any hows.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like a door handle and door plate more than anything.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  7. Chinoiserie

Possibly. It is over glaze where as the doullton mark is under glaze. I have also just noticed the initials MS or SW near the foot rim.

bluumz likes this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

9. Chinoiserie

cxgirl and bercrystal like this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I couldn't stand it any more and I copied the photo with the mark and posted on the FB group. Here's the reply:
    Yes, it was once for a few years a Doulton Company seconds mark indicating that the item was to be sold at a slightly reduced price. All the items with this mark have a slight flaw in them....They called it the flat iron mark.

11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

WTG @kentworld!!! My plates are long gone & I made a very nice profit on them but I am glad we finally have the history behind the mark. :happy::happy::happy:

12. Chinoiserie

Brilliant. Thanks for solving the mystery. They used to do things properly didn't they!? Now all we get is a score mark.

cxgirl, kentworld and bercrystal like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Hm, I need to check the Eyles Burslem book, not sure he mentions that. At least it’s solved.

14. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I'm just posting what was posted on the FB group. It would be good to find another source that confirms it.

Chinoiserie, bercrystal and cxgirl like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

I’ll believe that group, they tend to know their stuff. I’m off to find the book!

kentworld and bercrystal like this.
  16. Chinoiserie

I will just be listing it as 'unusual mark on back'. I will let them figure out that it is seconds themselves. I feel a bit mean but there ye go. :bucktooth:

kentworld likes this.
  17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Gosh, don't you think that's a bit... dishonest?
    I mean, I may not lead with that info in a listing but I'd feel compelled to mention it (or at least mention the possibility) since a reputable source states it as such.
    I doubt that it would affect price realized by much, if at all, anyway.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  18. Chinoiserie

It's only dishonest if they catch you out :woot:

19. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I do hope you’re kidding?!
    Not mentioning solid info you have because it may be detrimental to the selling price is dishonest, plain and simple, even if your buyer never realizes it. Caveat emptor and all that, but anything other than full disclosure by a seller is being deliberately deceitful.
    Granted, as I’ve already said, in this instance it’s not likely to make much difference, if any… but that’s not the point.
    I, for one, do not like the idea of sharing my expertise/knowledge with someone who intends to cherry pick the positive bits and leave out the negative bits in their selling activities.
    JMHO, of course.

komokwa likes this.
  20. Chinoiserie

Neither kidding nor being serious. Just playing devil's advocate. I don't think it's as black and white as you make out. I can understand if for example you sell a house that suffers subsidence and fail to disclose then the buyer would suffer serious hardship due to the omission. In this case, in 20 years time the plate would be in exactly the same condition. It wouldn't mysteriously fall in half unexpectedly. It's not like I have photoshopped the mark out. There are clear photos of it for any buyer to do their own research. I have given them the opportunity to do so. Shouldn't they be responsible for that? On the flip side, I bought two 1920s hand painted plates for £10 each a while back. I knew what they were potentially worth when I bought them but did not disclose my knowledge. No one criticised this behaviour when I posted them here. Legally there is a difference but is there morally? Doesn't matter which way the money is going , it's still a mutual exchange. I have added the contentious info to my listing albeit not 100% solid as there is no cross reference.

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted