Featured Very cool ring, I think it's very old too. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by skyshark, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The stone is so vivid, even in that collet setting, I'm wondering if it could be cubic zirconia. That would limit how old it could possibly be. Hard to know about jewellery from the Middle East because traditional designs that were made for centuries are still being made. Doubt very much that this came from an archeological excavation. (And if it did it was probably illegal to send it out of the country.) But it may have slipped off someone's finger & become trampled down into the dirt/sand, rediscovered later.

The value here, & it is great, is in the connections the ring has for you. If it fits so you can wear it, all the better. Wish all the troops we ship off could have the luck your unit did.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wait what.....that was me.
    And you misunderstood , or I was not being clear enuf....:oops::oops::oops::sorry:

My point was that the ring , looking like it was covered in material so as if it had been dug up after a long time being buried.....was not a good indication of age or worth .... imo.

Africans are known to artificially age their wood carvings that way....
    That's all I meant.

kyratango, skyshark and Bronwen like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Maybe you don't know anyone who worked at a jewelry store.You wouldn't believe the nasty crude "dead skin,soap,dirt,grease and a number of unidentified materials under stones.Can take 15+ minutes of a hot ammonia solution in an ultrasonic cleaner and steam cleaner to remove the material.

kyratango, skyshark and Bronwen like this.
  4. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

The stone blows my mind how well it's cut and shines. I was scared to test it, but I have a presidium gem tester and it tested amethyst/tanzinite.

I wish I knew the exact details on how the stuff my dad received was acquired. All I know is like u said, if it was dug up it could of been illegal for him to have. He knew that too. I thinkkk since I inherited it things are different? Not sure, but I'll never part with this ring.. I keister it or burry it before surrendering it... lol

Man, I'm divorced and even my wedding ring didn't fit me. Lost that in Airborne school too lol.. This ring was resized at somepoint and it fits me Perfectly. Well, my index or middle fingers. I'm not sure exactly what ring I "should" wear it on, but I prefer my left index.

I wish all troops deploying had the same luck as my unit too... War is terrible, lost some friends and went to too many memorials.. Seeing how we pulled out of Iraq so hastily and broke so many promises... what was any of it for...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  5. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Ahhh sorry for misunderstanding. It's all good brother .

I agree, for a while I didn't want to clean it because I was scared of "worth". However the more I wore it the more it mesmerized me and the more questions I had. I never had much interest in my dad's collection.. As weird as it sounds I feel like the ring found me.. My brother went through my dad's stuff before me, it was too painful for me.. of course he cherry picked a bunch but set a bag aside for me with this ring. Which of course if it was cleaned at the time I would of never seen this ring, I believe anyways..

Thanks for your input man

6. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I think I have other picture of it pre cleaned on my other phone. Any thoughts on how this looks? The way it was packed in their I felt like a kid cleaning it. Was soo satisfying. Layers of tightly packed dirt, white sand, and patina. Even tho this may not be a desert treasure, it as real as a desert treasure can get for me . I wish I could upload a video so ya'll could see the facets glimmering in the sun. It's memorizing.

Attached Files:

Bronwen, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  7. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Also, here is a quick pick of some random stuff at my computer desk. Had to crop it down was too big.. those coins seems interesting.

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
  8. komokwa

hummmmm.......now we get interesting !

& yes...that amethyst looks crazy sparkly.....

I wear my Dad's watch.
    The one he wore for the better part of my life.
    It's a self wind, and I only wear it out.....so I'm always resetting it when I put it on.
    It drives me nuts....but I'd do anything for him......so it's a small price to pay to keep him with me !!!

I also wear a pendant of his during the summer .....
    He told me it was a gift from a good friend.....but I remember him buying it on a trip to Israel.....with me standing there..!!!!

So like I say.....family stories have a way of taking a hard right turn ...as the years go by..! :playful::playful::playful:

Figtree3, Bronwen and skyshark like this.
  9. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

A good side shot of the ring. I love how the amethyst is sitting slightly above the set so u can see it from the side.

Attached Files:

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

can you photo those others.....maybe two at a time....front and rear...?

Bronwen likes this.
  11. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Yea sure. Busy for a bit but this evening I'll get the lighting setup and take some shots. I'll snag some other things too.

Its quite the assortment. I got swords and bracelets too

Bronwen likes this.
  12. komokwa

no rush , my man !:)

post the swords in the military Forum....and @ tag my name.:woot:

it may even be a thought to post the rest of the jewelry in the jewelry Forum...
    or not....your call ! ;):happy:

Bronwen likes this.
  13. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I made a new post with a few rings. Too tired to do anything else. I don't know how to tag you though

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  14. komokwa

@skyshark ....like this.... with my handle, of course...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

15. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

@skyshark Use the @ and the start typing the members name. A popup menu will appear. Select from that.

skyshark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted