Featured Very old ancestor drawing?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bdigger, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

?? Henry married Wilhelmina (Minnie) Klemann in 1898 in Bessemer, Michigan. No?

2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Ahhh yes. I know there is a holombo in there someplace. Maybe Grandfather leonard Carl Hoffman married a holombo. Ill check

3. Bakersgma

I think that may be it. In any event, Gwyneth is related only by marriage, but if your family ended up with these pictures, it is likely that she did not have children to cherish them. I have a number of things that my family ended up with under similar circumstances. I still feel connected to them, regardless.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Bdigger

anyway you slice it this ancestor tracing is a complicated mess. we have been looking back a couple generations in my family, not even considering the more recent. My mom was a Cramer and she had 11 brothers and sisters. I don't even WANT to open That can of worms yet! LOL

komokwa, Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Bakersgma

When you're ready, you know how to find me. ;)

komokwa and Bdigger like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

If your great-grandmother was your birth great-grandmother, you are related to her genetically. So that means her sister was also related to you genetically, as would be the daughter of her sister. (If I'm following your description of how you are related.) She would not be related by marriage, any more than your great-grandmother was. I mean, all ancestors are related by marriage if you look at it a certain way!

If you are directly descended from that great-grandmother (rather than her being a second wife of the great-grandfather), that means the daughter of her sister would be your first cousin twice removed.

7. Bakersgma

I'm afraid Mike was mistaken in remembering his great grandmother's maiden name. It was Klemann, not Holombo. I corrected him later.

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Figtree3

Thanks, I wasn't following the logic of the whole discussion. Should have done so. I was just reflecting on the comment.

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Thanks! I just read the whole thread more carefully. So I won't change my previous comment, since this won't make sense to people reading it later. :)

Just out of curiosity... Holombo is a name I've never heard before. What's the origin of the name? (I guess I can look it up but does anybody know?)

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. Bdigger

Figured it out. My Grandfather married Natalie Holombo, sister to Gwyneth. so Gwyneth was my grandfathers SIL.

Figtree3, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  12. Bakersgma

It's still important info for someone with less experience on genetic versus marital relationships.

Ancestry never designates the spouse of a genetic aunt or uncle as an aunt or uncle, but rather lists as "wife of" or "husband of." But most families the wife of your mother's or father's brother is still called Aunt so and so. :rolleyes:

And then there's the honorific - I grew up thinking that all the women my mother instructed me to call Aunt were related to me - and I was wrong, of course. They were either my mother's close friends or my grandmother's close friends. My mother and her mother were both only children and my father only had one brother. Not an actual aunt in the place. ;)

Figtree3, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Bakersgma

Now you've got me confused. Gwyneth Talbott's maiden name was Rowe. How could Gwyneth and Natalie be sisters?

14. Bakersgma

Gwyneth Rowe's mother's maiden name was Holombo, so it is likely (given that the name is not terribly common) that Gwyneth and Natalie might be related in some way - some degree of cousin, but not sisters.

15. Bakersgma

I need to go out now, but when I get back I'm going to do some research on Gwyneth's mother and Natalie's parents to see how they are related, if at all. It is still possible that Gwyneth's great grandparents (on her mother's side) play some role in your genetic family tree through Natalie.

16. Bdigger

I'm totally confused too. LOL.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Bakersgma

Okay, let's see if I can explain this clearly.

Gwyneth Bernice Rowe - whose ancestors are in the 2 pictures - was the daughter of Joseph John Rowe and Sophia Bertha Holombo.

Sophia Bertha Holombo was the daughter of Hansen Holombo and Anna Maria Johnson. (both born in Norway.)

Hansen and Maria Johnson Holombo had several other children, including a daughter named Annie Natalie Holombo. (Your grandmother who married Leonard Carl Hoffman in 1925.)

Annie Natalie Holombo and Sophia Bertha Holombo were sisters, so Gwyneth was Annie Natalie's niece and some degree of cousin to you.

Joseph John Rowe was the son on James T Rowe and Jane Phillips - all 3 of them were born in England. His ancestors are not your ancestors.

If these pictures were identified as Holombo ancestors of Gwyneth, then they would be related to you. But they're not Holombos, they're either Rowes or Phillipses.

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Figtree3

Now I understand!

Gwyneth was the first cousin of Bdigger's father or mother (whichever side of his family this is. Not sure if I caught that). So Gwyneth was Bdigger's first cousin once removed.

Bakersgma likes this.
  19. Bakersgma

Yes! She was first cousin to BDigger's father, the son of Annie Natalie and Leonard Carl Hoffman.

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. Bdigger

Thank You Bakersgma! ! Got it straight in my mind now. I always wondered where the Norway/Finnish came in ( dad always said Finnish). That explains the love of Pasties.....(no not the stick on nipple things! PASS TEES, The Rutabega /Meat pies), The are an acquired taste, but dad made sure we acquired it! lol!

Bakersgma, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted