Featured Weirdest thrift finds

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Barn Owl, May 14, 2018.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Marie,
    When I was a little lad I was "digging" in my grandfathers storage cabinet. There was a paper bag with handles that I could not reach. So I used a coat hanger to make a hole.
    What fell out scared the hell out of me. It was dozens of false teeth. Most of them were a type of rubber molded around the teeth. One was a wooden block with brass tacks nailed into the top of teeth. After I calmed down I asked what they were doing in the bag. My Gram said my Gramps dug graves at the local church for extra money. If he was digging in a spot with no headstone sometimes he would find bones and no coffin. He would gather up the bones and re bury them in a corner of the graveyard. He always kept the false teeth. He kept them in the bag I opened.
    greg

2. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

The weirdest things I found was what I thought was giant Christmas bells or tree ornaments. Turn out to be giant Brazilian slave charms and they were really use by slaves that haunted me for some time s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Did granny ever tell you WHY grandpa held onto a sack of false teeth!? :eek:

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

I found one small bottle pendant which is filled with one monkey pennis and Preservative..... the owner ask for 300 for that and I didn't buy that.:shifty::shifty::shifty:

Bronwen, Houseful and Barn Owl like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Whyever not? :vomit::vomit::vomit:

Bronwen, Houseful and komokwa like this.
  6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

dunno about weirdest but most inappropriate, i have found, somebody put together a fancy dress section tmn turtle uniform (michelangelo) real weapon included !!,

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Oh my Greg! Maybe they were trying to stop you from looking in the closet where they hid your Christmas presents???

Bronwen likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My Christmas presents were an orange, new underwear, a box of candy. Was the same from age 6 to 12. No need to hide.:rolleyes:
    greg

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Barn Owl likes this.
  10. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Bought a cherry chest circa 1800 back east and when I got it home I found a $5 gold piece wedged between the side and bottom of one of the drawers. Almost paid for the chest.

11. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

Nothing too weird at the thrifts that I can recall. But I did find this cool little guy once at a sale...

[​IMG]

The once when I was metal detecting the beach in Lauderdale I ran across this disgusting leftover from a Voodoo or Santeria ritual probably....

[​IMG]

Still had the tag in his ear...

[​IMG]

What's a goat head from Ga. doing all the way down here anyway? lol

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Accoutrements for maintaining slavery, yet they bothered to make them decorative. We're a strange species.

Joshua Brown likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted