Featured What is this?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by NuzzleNudge, Nov 23, 2022.

1. NuzzleNudge

NuzzleNudge New Member

2B61E997-64A9-4B36-A042-E73840724C40.jpeg F0E6D0DD-5BD3-4573-AD3C-C2DC786693DA.jpeg This started out as an heirloom from my husband’s grandmother. And my husband found a pair of earrings and an antique store years after. Since then we have been collecting quite a few. Not only are their medallions, but screw back earrings, and pins in different Shapes and sizes. The original chains that the medallions came on seem too short for necklaces so we thought maybe as ornaments for uniforms? Does anyone know what the symbol means with these were used for? Would appreciate some clues greatly. We are very curious with the filigree initials are and what they mean.

KSW, Born2it, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They aren't filigree, they're silver or white metal inlaid into enamel. Hm.

KSW and judy like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're meant to resemble initial/monogram jewelry. Of course there's no monogram there. They look like they ought to be marked MMA on the back but probably aren't.

KSW and judy like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Odd that there's so many from different sources.

KSW, Dessert58 and judy like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Looks purely decorative, just like they made mock medals as costume jewellery. Nice colours.
    Agree, not filigree, which is hand made from metal wire and has an open look.
    These are either cast metal (including the monograms) which has been enameled. Or the monograms were punched from a metal sheet and soldered on a metal base, then enameled.
    Because these are clearly mass produced, I think they are cast in one piece and enameled.
    I think they are just guessing.;) There is nothing that says Medieval design or French style to me.
    The seller is in Florida, and if Nuzzle is also in the US, these are probably US made costume jewellery.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    Dessert58, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Agree they are costume jewelry. I've seen this stuff in my local thrifts. The generic design is made to resemble a pretty monogram for those who couldn't afford (or simply didn't want) to have jewelry custom made with their own monogram.
    I, too, don't see anything medieval or particularly French.

EDIT: My guess for age is last third of the 20th century. Let's see if others with better knowledge than myself agree. :) (LOL, I hadn't yet clicked on the Etsy link when I wrote this, but I now see that the seller agrees as he/she claims 1970s. I'm more inclined toward 80s/90s.)

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

So am I. 80s is the period of the mock medals.

bluumz likes this.
  9. NuzzleNudge

NuzzleNudge New Member

What part of “an heirloom from my husband’s GRANDMOTHER” says 70s, 80s or 90s? We we born in the 80s. This is at least from the 50s. My mother in law acquired it from her in the 60s.

We have aquired them from Australia and the UK so they are not merely a US origin. Other sellers too have said “French” in design.

10. NuzzleNudge

NuzzleNudge New Member

2manybooks likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Your grandmother could well have had new things. Mine did.

And jewellery travels.

Any Jewelry and bluumz like this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

In the second photo, I see a rectangular lobster claw clasp. Apparently, these weren't used much until the 1960s, and mostly later than that.
    Lobster Claw Clasps How Old? | Antiques Board (antiquers.com)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

So did mine.
    And Nuzzle's grandmother may have been born around the same time as my mother, 1924. My mother bought her last bracelet in 2011. Grandmothers aren't fixed in time, they buy things they like for as long as they can. Their memory can start to deteriorate, so they may not remember when they bought something, but buy they do.;)
    I'm not even that old, but I can't remember when I bought every piece of jewellery.:facepalm::hilarious:

Btw, Nuzzle, if you want to get more eyes on your items, it is a good idea if you try a more descriptive title for your next thread.
    There are many threads with the title 'What is this', and many members don't even bother to look anymore. This isn't criticism, just advice.:)

14. Any Jewelry

Overhere in Europe they became hugely popular in the 80s.;) Between the 60s and 80s they were hardly used. I believe the US followed in the 90s.

komokwa and bluumz like this.
  15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Here in the US, I don't recall seeing them until the 80s/90s.
    The 1960s possibility was from info in the linked thread. :)

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

I didn't see lobster claw clasps till the 90s, I reckon.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

On the Continent we probably saw more Italian jewellery, they began using them in the 80s.

komokwa likes this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Here in the USA Northeast, the lobster claws showed up in the early 1990s. Those enamel bits to me look kinda 1980s; the Chinese made a lot of it for export to the West.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Too often, sellers don’t know what they have or are simply repeating what they’ve seen via quick Google searches. You need the opinions of experienced jewelry collectors who are not financially invested in the piece. You may find that here. :)

Any Jewelry, Ownedbybear and komokwa like this.
  20. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Please note that you did not provide any information as to your family's history or ages in your initial post.

bluumz, Any Jewelry and Ownedbybear like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted