Featured Where was this woven textile made?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Bookahtoo, Aug 18, 2020.

1. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Well, my best guess, based on the technique and wool fibers, is that it is Bolivian or Peruvian. But I cannot find a comparative with exactly the same small motifs. Perhaps you can persuade Taupou to weigh in.

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Thanks 2manybooks.

I hate to admit this, but I misrepresented the burn test.
    I really didn't smell anything at all, so after 4 tries I based my guess on how it burned. Sorry. :(:oops:

2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. 2manybooks

This is really frustrating. The basic design is so generic - stripes with supplemental warp designs - that identifying the specific fiber may be the only way to place it. Do you have access to a microscope, and someone who knows how to use it? Fibers to consider, and which can be identified with microscopy, would be cotton, or a bast fiber such as linen, hemp, or nettle, if it is a plant fiber. A good microscopist can also identify various types of hair/wool.

I am still thinking backstrap loom, where the varying warp designs are worked with a pick up stick during weaving - so, some traditional/ethnographic context. The colors look like natural dyes, not synthetic. Based on the technique and appearance, my thoughts are ranging from Guatemala to the Andes, but also possibly the Himalayas and, less likely, some of the Indonesian islands.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not if they're wool.;)

2manybooks likes this.
  5. 2manybooks

Yes, of course. I also thought you would probably recognize it if it was from Flores or elsewhere in Indonesia. As the fiber still seems to be uncertain, I was just being thorough. ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am not all that good in eastern Indonesian, but I would expect an ikat weave if they were striped east Indonesian. And generally more elaborate designs.:)

2manybooks likes this.
  7. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

After your post, I began thinking of Bulgaria or Albania

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted