Featured White Jade-Dragon Belt hook...Help!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SPERLS, Sep 11, 2017.

1. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

I bought this today...It appears to be correct?...Nicely carved...5-1/4" long..It has a repair on one of the arms...Padded box has some writing,which I hope someone can translate...Any help appreciated!...Thank you, IMG_20170911_161227330.jpg IMG_9267.JPG IMG_20170911_161316932.jpg IMG_20170911_161547979.jpg

Christmasjoy, Danno, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

didn't we have one of these recently...?

3. komokwa

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

But this one is real jade, good quality. Very nice piece, Sperls, I would have bought it too.
    It could be Qing, as it says (Ching). I would have to handle it. Maybe detailed pictures could reveal more.

The writing is probably not that important, since 69 appears in both the English and Chinese label, I expect it is roughly the same. 清 (after 69) is Qing/Ching.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  5. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Thanks Any Jewelry....As far as handling...It is smoother than any jade item,I have ever touched & sort of cold in my hand & In different light,its color changes...I am including more pictures...Komo...Thanks for the link...It was very informative (Thanks,again Any Jewelry)....This has 5 toes...In my research,I have seen others similer to mone. IMG_20170912_071527077~2.jpg IMG_20170912_071429113~3.jpg IMG_20170912_071450694~2.jpg IMG_20170912_070417741.jpg

6. komokwa

It could be Qing, as it says (Ching).

That could also just be a typo for China.....

judy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Ching was the spelling when I started out in Asian antiques.
    For some reason 'they' threw out the old spelling. Ching became Q'ing, Chien Lung became Qianlong, etc. The pronunciation stayed the same, but a lot of people get confused now, and pronounce Q'ing as Kwing instead of Ching.

judy, SPERLS, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Sounds and looks good, I wouldn't be surprised if this was late Qing.
    Five claws on a dragon is a reference to the emperor. However, the top dragon is not a heavenly or imperial dragon, but a so-called forest dragon, a fancy name for a gecko. That means the number of claws is not relevant.
    The whole claw thing is best forgotten. Westerners love to fantasize about it, as if it could mean it was once owned by an emperor, but the chance of coming across an item like that is extremely small.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    SPERLS, komokwa and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. komokwa

& it looks like a gecko too !!

upload_2017-9-12_14-22-23.jpeg

judy, buyingtime777 and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

And five non-imperial toes!
    I love those Chinese gecko carvings, I have several on antique agate and jade snuff bottles.
    I like real-life geckos too, as long as they don't drop out of trees on top of me.

judy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted