Featured William & Mary Spice Box

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Jan 14, 2019.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

True, this is the first time in my collecting life i did NOT have to arrange shipping, auction house is sending in a USPS box, nice little surprise for me.

kyratango, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

So...what happened to Ruth?

James Conrad, judy and kyratango like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Right here.(LOL) The box alas went to another bidder.

4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Ahhhh
    The one that got away :(

5. James Conrad

Ruth went nite nite on me! At the time i was disappointed but not overly concerned, afterall, there are probably more early wood boxes than any other object from that time period. As the years rolled on and i kept missing out on getting one i realised they were highly collectable and fiercely bid on. There are 1/2 a dozen or so this week at the Americana show, most with HUGE estimates and, as it turns out Ruth was a bargain at 8k, even 9 years ago.
    Yes, Ruth has reached mythical proportions over the years! :(

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

James, re: the box in the link from liveauctioneers, while looking at the photos to me it looks like the door comes off completely and I don't see any hinges/hinge holes or a hole for the lock on the inside edges? On the box you bought, you can see the hinges and the lock part. Am I missing something on the first box?

7. James Conrad

Weird! I didn't notice all that! course i didn't look thru the pics either. I see a lock plate on left side of door in 1st pic but see no other pics of door. I am guessing the door does come off and top tucks under the molding at top? I have no idea. GOOD EYE! you checked that pretty close! I was more taken aback by the "compass" aspect and of course the number, 90k, UGH!

8. James Conrad

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  9. James Conrad

Meanwhile, in 3 days the americana auctions start in NYC. The most important sale there furniture wise is the Vogel collection, there must be at least 10 early boxes up for grabs. I don't know if it was the old man or the old woman ( Anne & Frederick Vogel) but one or both of them were clearly into early boxes.
    This is the most important & valuable box in the collection, Serrate Foliate Group, Windsor Connecticut, 1680. Original everything, including the paint, snipe hinges, lock & key. Estimate 50k-100k USD

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2018/collection-anne-h-frederick-vogel-iii-n10003.html?locale=en

box.jpg

508N10003_592LM.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Dang, what a beauty. I'm certain that I would love it FAR MORE than the lucky person who will actually spend $50-$100K on it.

11. James Conrad

It's a little insane the prices, but that spice box above went for 106k so you know, it is what it is kinda thing. They are rare, outstanding examples in fine condition so that's what drives the numbers.
    I was like a babe in the woods when i started trying to obtain an early american box 9 years ago, i had NO IDEA! how in demand they really are, I am a furniture guy, who knew? They have broad appeal to many different sectors among antique collectors so LOTS of competition for these small wood boxes, trust me!

12. Ghopper1924

Well, the Vogels were certainly smart to collect them. They've risen in value when almost everything else has declined.

13. James Conrad

Yeah, I think that's correct, I'd say one reason is because it crosses so many different categories of collectors. Jewelry people, pottery people, silver people, bla bla bla, no matter what one collects, it seems they ALL want one of these boxes.

14. Ghopper1924

I know I do. The problem is the old champagne taste, beer budget deelio.

Aquitaine, cxgirl, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm more of a seltzer water budget, but you never know. It's worth hitting estate sales sometimes because the darnedest things turn up.

16. James Conrad

Meanwhile, the english spice box that started this thread arrived in a box of foam peanuts that went EVERYWHERE, still finding them here n there.
    It is english, riven oak with original cast brass pulls, i don't think the ball feet are original though. I was not happy with the "black" finish on the little drawers which was popular in england during the victorian age. You can't see the figure on the riven oak, which is very nice i think. Off to the restorer to get that black crap off it! and give it a good cleaning.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

when I shipped a totem pole to BC....they opened the tube on the front lawn...on a windy day........the peanuts.....all the peanuts.....flew all over the lawn...and then down the driveway.....then ...well....pretty much everywhere !!
    At least you got them contained !!! :hilarious::hilarious:

18. James Conrad

LOL, Yeah, I hear you! I wasn't expecting foam peanuts but, they can get away from you in a NY min, faster than that even if outside on a windy day! :hilarious:

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

20. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    That is why I hate packing foam peanuts. I found that if I tie them into plastic bags loosely, they do not fly everywhere. I HATE getting loose foam everywhere.
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted