Featured Would Appreciate Help on Style, Age, Value of Antique Dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SLP, Jan 7, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Aqui Thanks so much for giving it a try. You did much better than I did.

judy, James Conrad and komokwa like this.
  2. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

I think it looks more like cherry

3. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

SLP, that is a lovely Lehigh County piece. Your eyes can almost caress the carvings and the deliciousness of the wood.
    It is a treasure and you might want to find a place for it in your new home. Some offspring might treasure it down the road.

SLP, judy and James Conrad like this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agreed, what @patd8643 said, it's a genuine piece of early Americana in very good condition, you don't come across those every day.

SLP and judy like this.
  5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

In Missouri it is a highboy dresser. I would not sell it. Would be great in a craft room as well as bedroom.

SLP and James Conrad like this.
  6. Eric Haefli

Eric Haefli Active Member

I agree with others that this is a beautiful piece. I love the beading of the drawer faces, the half-circle pilaster detail in the front corners, the cornice, and the legs. The piece is so well proportioned, the way the drawers gradually get larger going from top to bottom and with the top set of drawers having the face out from the drawers below. You can tell an experienced craftsman designed and made this piece.

James Conrad, SLP and patd8643 like this.
  7. SLP

SLP Member

Thanks to everyone on this thread for taking the time to comment. This has helped me learn more about this piece than I ever knew before. If I learn anything more about the maker/chalk writing, I will update the thread. Thanks again for all the insight.

komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  8. SLP

SLP Member

UPDATE: I reached out to Pook & Pook as suggested on this post. They were kind enough to respond to my inquiries and said this:

"Sorry but not a maker I recognize. Probably the name of the original owner if I had to guess. A nice piece but not of great value these days, maybe $500-1000."

At this point I am probably taking it with me when I move, as it's the last piece I have from my family. But having all of this info has really helped me learn more about this family piece, its time period and value. Thanks to all who contributed to this inquiry. xo

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Thanks for following up with us!

SLP likes this.
  10. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Great information on this thread! I agree with others that OP should keep it. We’ve inherited many dressers from deceased relatives, and there is always a place they can go, awaiting future use, even if it’s a place to store seasonal clothes that aren’t presently being used (eg the t shirts and shirts during winter). This one is a keeper!

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted