Featured Writing desk – for the bonfire or worth saving?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mavota, Jan 22, 2023.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Dave-You're in the UK,do you find (like in the US)-in certain areas of Britain some antiques or almost unsalable compared to markets in the larger cities ?

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Yes, some stuff I can't giveaway yet brings good money in London etc

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

How rich does one have to be to throw stuff like this away..?

one mans ceiling is another mans floor....

put the stuff out by the curb......I'll bet u it doesn't sit there long....;)

Born2it, verybrad and Bakersgma like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That desk is a perfect size for a small flat, or even a dorm room. The carving is beautiful. I don't have a use for either, but if all else fails throw it up on Gumtree or the equivalent for cheap/free and someone will come take it away.

Born2it likes this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Oh my, I wish I was in your area so I could go to that charity shop, not to mention coming your parent's home for that great desk!

Born2it likes this.
  7. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

The fact that I don't have a use for it either, would not prevent me from acquiring it!

Covet, covet, covet...

Born2it likes this.
  8. Mavota

Mavota Member

Thanks for all the comments. Don't worry, I'll do my best to make sure the desk either gets sold or goes to a charity shop.

I think most of the stuff which has already gone to the charity shop was a couple of thousand late 20thc paperbacks - so not very exciting!

Does anyone have any advice about the carpet? I can get some more photos of it and post another thread here...?

Figtree3, KikoBlueEyes and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

photo carpet
    give size
    pics of edge corner both sides..

maybe we can help...;)

Ghopper1924 and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

ARG. I don't know any dealers in Norn Ireland, or decent auction houses, but that would be the way to go. At the very least, PLEASE get someone like BHF in to take the stuff. NO BONFIRES.

11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

If only I was in Ireland! I've never seen another one quite like it. A beautiful Eastlake davenport!! Just remember...what burns never returns. Please do not hurt this little gem!!

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

You can certainly post your carpet here for some help. Be sure to take photos of the reverse side, the edges, any tags - use all ten photo opportunities. I don't know how many carpet experts we have, but I hope someone can help you.

13. Mavota

Mavota Member

I got some photos of the carpet today and have just posted them in the textiles part of this forum. I also found an old chair already on the bonfire which I have made another thread about.

RE the Davenport, I think at the very least it is going to go to a charity shop. I also have a colleague from work who might be interested in taking it. I tried lifting it today and it isn't as heavy as I feared, so I'm confident we'll be able to get it out in one piece.

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Charity shop will love it. BHF would collect.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Mavota

Mavota Member

That's an idea - might look into it actually.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted