Featured Your “Grail”?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sedona, Nov 27, 2019.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Marie,
    My Gram had a set of those Tiffany Mississippi pearls. She had the necklace and a bracelet. She got them from an uncle when she married my grandfather. She only wore them three or four times. They disappeared an hour after she died. Her two daughters in law descended when I called them to tell them that she passed.:rage:
    They overlooked her emerald ring which was hidden in another place. Her daughter took several hours to get here since she lived in an neighboring state. So much family drama.
    greg

judy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If I can't have my cameo, a large padparadscha sapphire would be nice.

judy and kyratango like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A five-carat paraiba tourmaline would be OK too.

judy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Oh, yeah. Would like to find that in the toe of my stocking any day, even if it was while putting on my shoes.

judy and kyratango like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

So true, I got it mixed up with the Mississippi Mud Bakelite color. Funny though, the right pin came up in my search ;)

Greg, unfortunately that kind of thing happens often. In my family we took all my mother's good jewelry straight to the lawyer handling the estate. I and one of my sisters went to his office and I photographed each piece. I then made a multipage PDF with each piece's photo, description and value from the estate appraiser. I emailed that to all my siblings (I am one of nine) and we all got to choose that way.

It kept crankiness to a minimum, unfortunately it did not prevent it :(

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Marie,
    That is what should have been done but telling to that to a 15 year old like I was.
    My two aunts just took things into their hands before Gram,s daughter got there.
    I was raised to be respectable to my elders not matter hard it was. I was able to keep certain pieces "hidden away" from the vultures. It got worse after I was gone.
    Grandpa got dementia and so many things disappeared.
    greg

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

I immediately got it conflated in my head with mud pie.

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Oh Greg, that is so not something a teenager should have to deal with! I am so sorry that happened in your family :(

9. evelyb30

I hate it when families fight over the scraps, and in the end all the stuff is scraps. My mom wanted to divvy up the family jewelry after Dad died. I said "I never wear any of this anyway" and told my sister to put it all in the safe deposit for my niece. Problem solved.

10. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Agreed. A close friend was recently diagnosed with ALS and, tragically, he is declining very, very rapidly.

judy likes this.
  11. evelyb30

ALS is a bear. And it bites you without any chance for you to bite it first.

judy likes this.
  12. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

ALS - wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. My youngest brother-in-law passed away from it years ago.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted