Featured Help would be v. much appreciated for Roman coin xx

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BoudiccaJones, Jan 23, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Great coin Boudicca. It looks very comfy on its fluffy pink bed :)
    We've found a few bits and pieces but nothing hugely exciting. My OH did find a snake ring on the end of his pickaxe when digging foundations for a wall in the garden, other than that just a few bits of broken pottery and glass off the allotment that I think it was Davey told me probably went out with the night soil before they had toilets.......:vomit:

kyratango and BoudiccaJones like this.
  2. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Gold can come out looking shiny, if it's pure it is more likely...but the alloys tarnish.I was metal detecting for years...have heard people say that many times before.
    In my experience..certainly not always comes out gold. Also mud gets stuck....all sorts of things.
    Silver can be pitch black or silver. Depends again.
    EDIT I AM CAFFEINE DEPRIVED OFF TO GET SOME
    That's a lovely ring...have had a few beach finds too but not for years . I think mine is gold...I can smell brass and it's a different colour. I have quite a few brass rings...none with hallmarks though. Plenty with markings inside but no hallmarks xx
    EDIT for hopeful clarity

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    kyratango and J Dagger like this.
  3. BoudiccaJones

One snake ring'd do it for me :O Once in a lifetime find!
    Have you a pic KSW? <3 xxx
    Not sure if you saw my saga on here a year or two ago...my hub found a snake ring in our bin somehow. Still utterly nonplussed. That was brass though. I don't think it'll be happening to me again Not sure how it even happened once.

I dug in my Dad's garden hoping to find a dump and found some little broken bits nothing more. I read somewhere years ago something about looking a certain amount of yards from the back door where a Victorian person would throw rubbish in a garden dump and to dig there so I did. Found broken bits. Not sure this makes sense. I need caffeine.

I DID FIND THIS IN MY WALL CAVITY...I was thrilled :) A builders snack
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kyratango and KSW like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it for years so suspect it's in the loft :mask:.
    It was badly corroded so nothing too exciting to see.
    I'm on the first caffeine of the morning as it's going to be a long day.

kyratango and BoudiccaJones like this.
  5. BoudiccaJones

wastes a lot of time sifting to get it.

Lastly I love all chocolate no matter what it comes in, so long as it’s dark!

HOLD ON HOLD ON...I HAVE JUST NOTICED THE MOST IMPORTANT SENTENCE UTTERED HERE...DARK CHOC !!! NOOO !!! Tis an abomination
    It's for grown ups :O I only like the milky sugary stuff. I'll never reach THAT level of adulthood.

As an aside...I have a very keen nose and have had lots of metal pass through my hot n heavy hands. I can smell brass. Gold has no smell...can smell brass a mile off. Reeks . Silver has a non smell too but can tell that however black it is, that silver is under. Got a feel for brass/silver/gold...my dad and I found the sovereign at a place called Dinedor in Hereford . I've just copied and pasted a ref to it here , was a hill fort. Dad may have found other stuff when I wasn't with him too, was years ago
    Dinedor Camp
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
    Dinedor Camp is a Hill fort on Dinedor Hill,[1] Dinedor, near Hereford in England.

Archaeological excavations have found material ranging from 1700 BCE to 1100 CE.[2

6. BoudiccaJones

I'm on my second vat. Not working yet :eek: Hope your day is good K <3 xxx

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

J Dagger and BoudiccaJones like this.
  8. BoudiccaJones

I wannit. SO BAD. I thought I had commented on THIS post but was the old one...so I have created a zombie thread. So sorry.I want a poesy ring SO BAD THOUGH

9. BoudiccaJones

REALLY want a poesy ring. Since I realised they were a thing anyway...oh so lovely

10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’m a newbie not even a year in so I’ll take your word over what I’ve “heard”! It does look like it could be lower carat! I really hope it is!

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Haha I like everything dark and bitter! I’ve heard people say they can smell silver but not brass. I almost think I know what they mean with silver but wouldn’t event trust my nose there. I didn’t realize you were across the pond. The half sovereign makes more sense now! I’m so immensely jealous of detectorists that live in the old world. I’m very lucky to live where I do in the US but it’s nada compared to your ground. Any moment of any day you could pull something up millennia old. It’s tantalizing. I may move just for that reason some day lol.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You'd have loved the house a friend lived in. It had a chalk face at the back, full of fossils.

BoudiccaJones and Bookahtoo like this.
  13. BoudiccaJones

Oh goodness I have to agree...I say this to everyone, daily...I cannot believe I am lucky enough to live in this time and this place. If I choose almost anywhere to just dig I'll find something....go to charity shop I will come home with something old. Car boots are the BEST though I find some lovely things,so lucky .

I've heard people say that about silver too....I can see silver, usually good at silver even if it's pitch black. I can't smell it though. Brass reeks just like ... metal, if it's warm. Gold doesn't have a scent that I can discern but get a brass ring warm and that smell is allllll over your fingers. Copper smells too.

Sweet and milky. That's how I like my choc. Sweet and milky. Yum.

Draft saved Draft deleted