Featured Id an ivory tool long 26.5 cm

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Gianluca72, Oct 5, 2018.

1. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

i guess you didn’t see my post number 4.

kyratango, Gianluca72 and komokwa like this.
  2. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Yes I've seen it thanks

anundverkaufen likes this.
  3. Gianluca72

I'm not buying ivory on eBay, I'm the one who is selling it :)
    Ebay allowed me because it's
    prior to 1947
    Reg. CE 338/97

4. Gianluca72

I'm not buying ivory on eBay, I'm the one who is selling it :)
    Ebay allowed me because it's
    prior to 1947
    Reg. CE 338/97

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Don't know if eBay's regulations in Italy vary, but you have this item listed for sale in the U.S., where eBay prohibits selling 'Ivory or bones from ivory producing animals' without exception, and import/export to/from another country is illegal, period, and could cost you dearly. Even selling under the CITES exceptions requires documentation regarding the item's age and origin - though it's sold all the time, selling legally, with all the restrictions is seldom worth it.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/animal-products-policy?id=5046&st=3&pos=1&query=Animal products policy&intent=ivory&lucenceai=lucenceai

As long as I've been around antiques, long before the internet, these have been called page turners, so it is a fairly long-standing term, found in reference books and auction catalogs, but seem to recall looking for them termed as such in old catalogs, and don't believe I had luck either - so applaud the gentleman's research (will say, given the widespread use, would be worth describing along the lines of, 'often called a page turner'.)

Though it may be incorrect, how their use was explained to me, and the reason for their being made of ivory, bone, MOP, wood, etc. rather than metal, was that the page edges were burnished with the flat side for a crisper cut with the blade, and then the pages turned with it to avoid soiling the pages, or with newspapers, etc., soiling one's hands or gloves with ink. All that said, perhaps the 'page turner' name came from subsequent use - have seen them used by antique book dealers/conservators to support and turn fragile pages...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

7. Gianluca72

yes from Italy it's ok only to ship in Europe, i removed from the shipment options nations extra UE, you're right about it.
    Ahhh you're also right, how can i prove that it's prior to 1947 ?
    I need to provide documents even is it's so evident.... no no It's not worth it , better to keep it in my hands.
    I will remove it from the selling list :)

Thanks a lot for your explanation, i appreciate it :)

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Here in the Netherlands you need an expensive appraisal by an officially recognized appraiser, a stamped document with photographs by the appraiser, then send the stamped document to a government office who will provide you with their own stamped document which is to be attached to the first stamped document, then take some medication against your headache and hope people won't winge anyway.:facepalm:

Gianluca72, judy, aaroncab and 4 others like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Very wise decision @Gianluca72 ..good for you !!!! :happy::happy:

Gianluca72 likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I can sell ivory person to person, as long as the state doesn't get a look-in. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

Gianluca72 likes this.
  11. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I have always thought they were page turners or page splitters until I saw a book binder at work using old tools, he said a "bone folder" @7:40
    BTW Any Jewelry I haven't finished my chess box because I decided to make some paper marbling to go inside the tubes that hold the chess pieces hence the video above, is was all going fine, I made the marbled paper stuck it inside the tubes but then I tried to put the rooks and knights in and they wouldn't fit :( I then used the same drill bit to remove the now stuck fast paper and made a real hash of those 8 holders. It's not my finest hour, I have tried to think how I will make the tubes slightly larger but without refilling the holes with wood so I can centre a slightly larger drill bit I am at a loss. I might just leave it as is, it serves it purpose but not something I want to take photos of and post in here

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

interesting.......that would explain the missing handle....;)

Any Jewelry, 808 raver and Gianluca72 like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Nice video - I used to sell specialty papers and our Italian marbles were my favorite, have several in my paper stash. Have done all sorts of paper crafts, including origami, for decades and bone folders are necessary for quality work, they are readily available and will typically have either both ends rounded or one end tapered to a dull point - the OP's piece shows clear evidence of having had a handle (not that it couldn't have been used as a folder, and putting a sharp crease on a fold makes for a cleaner cut).

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  14. Any Jewelry

I'm sorry it didn't work the way you intended. It would have been nice, but it is also beautiful the way it is.

I know the feeling when a project just doesn't go as planned. I am currently trying to restore an antique writing slope, restored the 'gilding' on the sciver, bought a replacement escutcheon, and just then I discovered that someone stuck some fake woodgrain junk on top of the real wood of the lid.:banghead:
    There doesn't seem to be a wood friendly way to remove it, so I wil have to find someone who can sand it for me. I have neither the muscle power nor the equipment for that. And I have no idea what it will reveal. The lid looks fine on the inside, maybe it was just badly stained on the outside. I wish they had left it that way, much easier to restore.:(

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And the stains would have been at least authentic. Ink rings would look really cool, and it is a writing slope after all; its supposed to have ink stains!

Woodgrain junk. Words cannot express what I think of woodgrain junk. Or rather they can, but Davey wouldn't like them!

judy, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Exactly!
    I think I may have muttered those under my breath.:muted:

kyratango and judy like this.
  17. 808 raver

Any help I can give? if you post photos perhaps I can point you in the right way of going about it. It seems rather drastic to send it off to have the fake woodgrain removed, is it on a plastic backing? Impressive that you redid the gilding, did you have the right iron? I take it thats the gilding around the slope? Even if I can't help I would still like to see what your doing.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. 808 raver

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Thanks for the offer, but I have been studying both the material and my current options.
    It is not your nasty 1960s sticky plastic. I noticed it because the top layer had some chips, which was odd. The chipping turns out to be wood-effect paint which is coming loose. It reveals a hard layer that looks and feels a bit like yellowish bakelite, not paint, whereas the box itself is wood.
    I have decided to repaint the chipped parts in the right colours and varnish it, that is easiest for now. It is for myself, and I am not up to a major project right now. I can always do a better job when (if) I am feeling better.

808 raver and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

You will feel better - I insist. Just the winter doldrums. A positive attitude will get you through. :kiss: We need you too much.

808 raver, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted