Featured Vase? Damage or factory defect?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Pat P, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I think this item is probably Mexican from the 1960s. Do you think it was meant as a vase, or as a container for oil,vinegar, or something else?

Also, in the third photo there's a small gray teardrop shape and a few smaller areas that look maybe like scratches that are also gray. Would chips and scratches look like that or are they probably factory defects? I don't think the gray part is dirt... what could cause that color in glass?

In case it's relevant, the item has a pontil in the base so was handblown.

Thanks for your thoughts... :)

upload_2020-2-17_22-48-31.png

upload_2020-2-17_22-49-3.png

upload_2020-2-17_22-49-55.png

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

A hot ash from the kiln????? But LOVE the amber color!!!:singing::singing:

pearlsnblume, Pat P and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Does look like Tlaquepaque. That shape was typically decorative. Used for display, rather than on table. It is not a factory item per se. These were mouth-blown in workshops. Imperfections to be expected.

Debora

blownglass.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That said... Neither color nor base look typically vintage Mexican to me. You thought it might be. Would you share with us why?

Debora

Pat P and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, so maybe a burn mark?

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I wasn't familiar with Tlaquepaque... thanks for mentioning it. Do different areas of Mexico produce different types of glass items?

As I mentioned in the old thread, I remember Mexican glassware being sold in a store in NYC in the 60s that looked like this piece. I'm pretty sure some pieces were amber, while others were blue, turquoise and green. Maybe red, too.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Pat P likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted